Αυτός ο ιστότοπος χρησιμοποιεί cookie από την Google για να παρέχει τις υπηρεσίες του και να αναλύει την επισκεψιμότητα. Η IP διεύθυνσή σας γνωστοποιείται στην Google, μαζί με μετρήσεις απόδοσης και ασφαλείας, ώστε να διασφαλιστεί η ποιότητα της υπηρεσίας, για τη δημιουργία στατιστικών στοιχείων σχετικά με τη χρήση και για τον εντοπισμό και την αντιμετώπιση καταχρήσεων. Με την χρήση του ιστότοπου Audiohub.gr αποδέχεστε τα παραπάνω.

Συνέντευξη με την Patricia Barber, νεος δισκος Clique

Dr Pan K
Site Admin

Συνέντευξη με την Patricia Barber, νεος δισκος Clique

Unread post #1 by Dr Pan K » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Clique DXD Cover 3000x3000_5-13-21 (1) (1).png
Clique DXD Cover 3000x3000_5-13-21 (1) (1).png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 1372 times

H πασίγνωστη και εξαιρετική Patricia Barber λανσαρει νεο δισκο με jazz standards, ηχογραφημενο σε DXD (32bit/352.8KHz) απο ενα απο τους κορυφαιους τεχνικους ηχου στον κοσμο, τον Jim Anderson και με την ευκαιρια αυτη της εκανα μερικες ερωτησεις, σας τις παραθέτω. Να πω πως το επιπεδο της ηχογραφησης ειναι κορυφαιο, εχω στην διαθεση μου το studio master σε DXD αλλα θα κυκλοφορησει και σε DSD +LP (33, 2x45) για οποιον ενδιαφερεται τον Αυγουστο.

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 1.15.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 1.15.14 PM.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 1372 times

Dr. K: This mini interview comes days before the launch of Patricia’s latest album, one that comes packed with well-known jazz standards. Shuffling through my record collection and Qobuz I realize that I lost a few episodes, over the last thirty years she produced fifteen or so albums, most of which come with her own original music. Which raises the question, what music does Patricia listen to?

Patricia: I started learning about classical music late in my life, so there is an element of “wonder” there that I seek. Also as a composer, I'm enthralled with harmony and am interested in writing "new music" that can pull from both harmonic traditions. There is nothing like a great piano trio, a fabulous rhythm section, and I look for those, new and old.

But this is a standards album, what made you record these? Personal favorites?

Patricia: I started with standards, exclusively standards while at the Gold Star Sardine Bar. I knew a lot of standards from my mother, who was a fabulous singer, and I love them. For any jazz composer, they are an original library that you must learn and study. And I like pop music, so it is fun for me to rearrange a simple pop tune and drive home a hook, a rhythm, a lyric, an instrument — fulfill expectation and defy expectation.

Going back to your compositions, does piano and music come first or maybe lyrics?

Patricia: It is always a matter of reinventing the wheel for me. Sometimes it is a lyric that gives me a sense of what the harmony and tempo should be. Sometimes it is a harmonic structure that I've created, and then I painstakingly decide how the lyrics should fall within that, and work on them. Sometimes there is a rhythmic or ideological hook that needs harmony and melody.

There is an obvious emphasis on the quality of the recording, the mastering and mixing. You don’t happen to be an “audiophile”? Do you have a "proper" audio system at home? It’s a nerdy thing to ask but audiophiles keep your recordings on a pedestal.

Patricia: Well I'm so grateful to Jim Anderson and Ulrike Schwarz Anderson for the sound quality. Jim and I have been working together my entire career. No, I do not have an expensive or “proper” audio system. Most musicians don't. Perhaps they hear it in their heads. or they're used to mentally filling in sound on stages where it is impossible to hear well. Often I hear a second line violin section when I'm performing. Sometimes I use octaves on the piano to imitate that, but this is the way that musicians hear. That lush violin section is only in my head. I can understand loving music enough that I'd want the sound to be immersive and fabulous were I not a musician. Let's say I'm a lawyer, I would want to get home from my job, drop that needle or whatever, and hear great sounding music. Or, go to a concert, of course. Music is life, it is like a blood transfusion.

Tell us more about Clique.

Patricia: The songs on "Clique" are the songs my trio and quartet have been enjoying, in Chicago at The Green Mill, and in Oslo, Paris, London, Budapest, etc. These songs have been on the stage with the songs from Higher. They complement each other well for a live concert. It has been just so much fun to incorporate these songs into the sets.

Which “town” is your kind of town?

Patricia: Chicago, of course.

This has been one difficult year for most, due to Covid-19 and all the restrictions imposed on our life. How did you manage through the pandemic? Was it a depressing year or a productive one? Do you plan to hit the road when everything settles? A quick search on the net showed no dates for 2021.

Patricia: For many musicians, this was both a needed rest, and a frightening time. Most of my friends who are musicians are booking 2022, not 2021. It makes sense to me to have a COVID passport so that singers, who take in HUGE breaths of air, can relax and know that the entire audience is vaccinated. Also, it will help fill the concert halls if people feel safe. We are all waiting for the infection rate around the globe to come down so that we can deal with some dangerous variants that will inevitably prove a challenge to our vaccines. And, yes I did use the time well. I have been reading and writing prose. The list of books I have read would fill several legal pad sheets of paper, and I've been taking prose writing classes at StoryStudio Chicago. I write stories, and will, perhaps, write a book. We all will have learned something from this, we have all changed in some way. I have learned to slow down, and I will try to keep that slower pace.

My favorite Patricia Barber album is the multifaceted Mythologies, what is Patricia’s most at heart personal record so far? The one that better showcases her psyche?

Patricia: You have good taste then. I like Mythologies too. It wasn't well understood when I first put it out. Now, it is taught in music schools. Universal owns that album and some of my other favorite albums. (Damn!) All of my albums are dear to me. They are the culmination of years and years of study and work. I have quite a few favorite original songs, and interestingly, they are the ones that are working their way into the canon. It is odd and it is a thrill to hear others sing my songs!
Παναγιώτης
angpsi
Contributor

Re: Συνέντευξη με την Patricia Barber, νεος δισκος Clique

Unread post #2 by angpsi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:22 am

[musicphones] Μπάβο, κι εις ανώτερα!
Άγγελος
Chris1967
Contributor

Re: Συνέντευξη με την Patricia Barber, νεος δισκος Clique

Unread post #3 by Chris1967 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:37 pm

Μπράβο Πάνο, οι ηχογραφήσεις της είναι πάντοτε προσεγμένες και η μουσική της πολύ ψαγμένη.

Το βράδυ μετά την δουλειά θα βάλω να ακούσω, η αλήθεια είναι ότι έχω καιρό να παίξει η Patricia στο σπίτι.
Χρήστος

Return to “Μουσική”

Login · Register